Newbie In Worcester, With Gearbox Issues

jasonleah1

Hello everyone, :D Right, then lets get down to business.. My car is a Grand Voyager 2.8crd Exec Xs Auto with electric everything, A few weeks ago battery died after alternator belt snapped and wife didn't notice! anyway I repaired the car and now it has a gearbox issue. connected?? maybe?? The car has selection issues, when you start the car and it is in P all the selector light are on, They only work properly in R and D, All other gears just show as everyone lit up?? The car drove ok and seemed to go through all the gears correctly even kickdown. Now though the gear selector lights seem to have a mind of their own, Earlier this evening I was reversing the car and it stated I was in L which resulted in no reversing sensors either?? but I was able to reverse... I engaged P and went to operate the electric doors from inside and they wouldn't work. I turned the key off and removed it and the doors and boot worked perfectly. Started the car back up and selected D and the car showed it was in L but drove forward using 4 gears??? Baffled. Anyway the wife had already called local garages and they all say gearbox is shafted and needs a new one! without even looking at it. :o  Typical cost quoted is £2000+ anyway I do not think it is dead and will fix it myself, does the cars' gearbox ecu have to be reprogrammed due to battery dying?  I have a new gearbox filter and fluid on the way and new earth leads but wondered if there was anything else I could try. I have previously rebuilt both auto and manual gearboxes in my time and know my way around cars so can do anything myself . just need a bit of a pointer as to what it could be. I need it fixed quickly as the Mrs is using my Impreza and this is not amusing ;)