My New Bella!

MikeyRules

Question

Well thought I'd start a new thread now I've actually got the car home and have started doing some rebranding and modifications to track the progress and help others who fancy going down this route.

As bought/standard:

Rear Badge removed:

Standard head unit:

New Sat Nav / DVD / TV / WI-FI /Rear view camera head unit: (I'm still waiting on this and hope to have it installed before Xmas)

New Momo Design black grill:

I'm now waiting on a new Lancia Airbag, Sill plates, rear badge and 4 hub caps, ah and a set of mats...

A few pics

To clarify the first pic is the ypsilon bag, as you can see it has two sizes of round holes in the diffuser, the second is the delta bag which is two stage and has both round and elongated holes. The cover is the lancia badged one, from the inside you can see the weakened lines that are designed to split open when the bag deploys. The outer lip of the cover rolls over the back of the bag/diffuser and then locates into holes in the horn push assembly.

post-252-0-23513200-1425821186_thumb.jpg

post-252-0-29567900-1425821205_thumb.jpg

post-252-0-27907800-1425821237_thumb.jpg

post-252-0-92751500-1425821256_thumb.jpg

post-252-0-63845300-1425821287_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rossocorsa

It uses the original gas generator and bag so there's no difference as far as the car knows. I would recommend though that before disconnecting the battery you open the bonnet lock the car with key and leave it about 10 mins then disconnect that way you are sure that everything has closed down fully and can't be corrupted. Some functions take a while to close as a convenience so if you get back in quickly you don't have to wait for them to boot up. Then disconnect battery and wait another 20 mins to be on the safe side.

Also if you are not used to doing car work don't even attempt this sort of stuff it's simple but you must be very methodical or you'll end up blowing your face off!

Edited by Rossocorsa

I'd be up for it! Whereabouts are we all anyway? I'm in Coventry so central for anything really. I always go to the Auto Italia Midlands car day (or Summertime Classics as its now called) at Stanford Hall near Rugby in July?...................I'm not in the LMC so not sure what they organise (thought £50 a year for a club membership was a bit steep)...

Edited by Nello

I'm in Cheshire but the trouble and strife's family are in Bum so happy to centralise... I always seem to miss MITCAR for some reason or other. I do go to a few of the classic car shows throughout the year Tatton Park, NEC, and the Manchester Classic Car show etc. The next show I'm planning to be at is the end of March:

http://www.necrestorationshow.com/

Not really good for a Delta catch-up though....

Yes I took my dad last year and it wasn't bad for a first attempt. We usually do Auto Sport in Jan and I have a club stand at the Classic Car Show there in November, so it's quite nice to have a third event there now.

Tickets are just £10.50 with club code if you book in advance too.

Mike do you know what the part number was for the wheel centres you bought? Were they the right colour? Think we have the same wheels..............(17"?)

The NEC's only just down the road from me - OK 10 mins by train but as you say - not really ideal for a car meet at the show........... If anyones going though - happy to meet up after or before? I know plenty of country pubs in the area.

Edited by Nello

BTW Mike did you mention you had a Brera in the past? I'm thinking of changing my Coupe and have a yearning for a Brera S? Any buying advice appreciated........

Yes I had a 2009 2.4 5 cylinder diesel Brera running just shy of 300bhp and 502nm... I liked the improvements Prodrive made to the 'S' but wasn't that enamoured with either of the petrol engines. 

The 2.2 (GM engine) is lack lustre, sounds drab and has a terrible flat spot on take off making it scary when pulling out of junctions. This is fixable though with an induction kit and mild remap, or you can learn to drive around the problem using more revs, although that kills the clutch eventually.

The 3.2 again a GM engine is much better although nothing compared to the old Busso V6's and probably the one to have if you want petrol. This also is quite muted and a bit linear in power delivery but doesn't have the hesitation issue like the 2.2.

There's not much to look out for providing the car has been well maintained and most niggles and issues should have already been dealt with under warranty.

The issues I can remember are:

1. 19'' wheels ware out the inner edges very quickly as the car are set up this way. This is rectified by having the front aligned and set to zero camber.

2. Rocking drivers seat. This was quite bad in all 939 cars (Spider, Brera, 159)

3. Clutch pedal. The cable is attached to the back of the pedal with a toggle clip and this can detach making the pedal shoot straight to the floor! Quite scary if you're half way around the Evo triangle like I was when it happened to me!! The clutch pedal can also creak when pressed.

4. Boot and door seals. Check carpets are dry and don't show any signs of water ingress.

5. Power steering: There was a problem with the wrong colour steering fluid having been used. Can't remember whether red or green was the correct one, but basically the wrong one caused premature failure of the rack.

6. Rear arches really suffer from stone chips and pitting caused by stones and road debris being fired off the back of the front tyres. Their is some protection film fitted from the factory which isn't big enough or strong enough to stop the damage. The best cure is front mud flaps.

7. Wind noise: But tbh every Alfa I've ever owned has had this. The Italians just can't seem to get the door and seals to fit well enough, and the huge mirrors also whistle in the wind.

I loved both my Brera and 939 Spider and most of those things listed above are just niggles really and not all present on every car. I'd have another as they get lots of attention and still look fresh and fantastic even 9 years on!

Oh from memory the 'S' didn't have 'Sky Vision (SV) which is basically the glass roof with electric blind. The 'S' did have unique Prodrive wheels though, improved lighter suspension and re-designed exhaust tips.

Thanks mate - Yes I've digested all the S amendments. Moved now (though still near) but I used to live just up the road from the Prodrive track at Hatton where they developed the S. Just think they look stunning with those 19" wheels - would have to be an S for me - I read the later 1750 Brera is the one to go for but they are another £4-5k. They won't go like my Coupe but I fancy a nice comfy GT cruiser......

As mentioned I did have a 159 but could not put up with the Oil burner noise (1.9 JTDm) Never liked Sun-roofs/glass panels so not bothered about that. I can imagine the 3.2 is £500 a year tax though - Chris Harris road tested the S when it came out and reckoned the 2.2 was the better car - too much weight over the front axle he reckoned despite lightening but I suppose I need to test drive........

I did want a Red one but saw a Black S in Kenilworth last month and it looked superb..............Pity about the GM engines though. I think a good engine noise is part of the driving experience. My Coupe 5-pot with a scorpion exhaust sounds  B)

Edited by Nello

I had the 1750 in the last 159ti Sportwagon I had... Yes it is a good engine, but thirsty for such a small unit, and nothing to right home about noise wise either!

Both my Spider and Brera were 'Carbonio' black... The Grey is the 'S' is stunning if you can find one. The black really show up swirl marks and stone chips expose the white primer.

There's always a lot of noise about the 939 series cars being to nose heavy and my 2.4 5 cylinder oil burner was no lightweight for sure. But unless you're doing track days or hooning around the welsh evo triangle it's really not that bad!

As said though the 2.2 can be made better with an induction kit (air filter is in front bumper and separate from engine bay heat) and a remap to get rid of that awful hesitation.

I think the only thing you can do with the glass is either scratch out the Chrysler wording - hardly anyone knows what the 'Wing' is anyway - Someone I know thought it was an Aston Martin badge!

I have seen these : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281188265531?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Frosted sticker thought I'm not sure how well it would cover the Chrysler badge - probably not that well. I'm getting some for the rear metal plates that came with the Illuminated sills Rosso.

What about the Engine cover? I've seen a few Fiat/Alfa MultiAir Engine covers - I'll probably stick one on just to remove you know what......

Thanks for the link Neil... That might well be worth a try for the sake of a fiver! :P

Yes good point about the engine cover! Had totally forgotten about that! :rolleyes:  Just when you think you're nearly there ha-ha

I must admit the other day I was coming back from my Dad's in Derbyshire cruising around 50ish and had a real smug feeling come over me! That for a little over 7 grand I was sat in what's actually a really nice place to be! Certainly for the money there's not much to touch it really... As I started to hit the A6 which brings you into South Manchester I realised I'd had the same white BWM M series coupe sat behind me for quite some time... and when we got stopped at a set of lights I saw the female driver pointing to the back of the car and discussing it with her passenger, and by the next set she pulled up next to me to get a better look. As she saw me spot her looking over my car she smile and mouthed the words 'nice car' and gave me a thumbs up.

Funny how my first thoughts were... She's hot, and all night long! :lol:

:D Glad us blokes are all the same! I've had plenty of people stopping / noticing the car. We go down to Dartmouth every year for a family gathering away and I watched one chap stop across the road from my Delta purely to get out and have a look around it. Turned out he was a Beta owner and we had a good 30 min chat  B)

Let us know how you get on with those stickers - I'm going for a few - think you'd need about 7 for one car - maybe ask him for a group deal?

Edited by Nello